I Made My First Gumroad Sale Using NotebookLM — Here's Exactly What I Did

Growth Lab Plus

For a long time, I was thinking about digital products the wrong way.

I kept asking myself what I could create and sell. But eventually, I realized that a much better question was: what small problem can I solve well enough that someone would actually pay for the solution?

That shift in thinking is what led me to experiment with NotebookLM and Gumroad.

NotebookLM and Gumroad digital product workflow for making your first online sale


I did not try to build a massive ebook, launch a full course, or create some complicated AI business. I started with one practical problem, researched it carefully, turned the useful information into a simple digital resource, and then put it in front of people who were already interested in that type of solution.

That process eventually led to my first Gumroad sale.

The biggest lesson was not that NotebookLM can somehow make money on its own. It cannot. The real value came from combining focused product research, AI-assisted organization, useful packaging, and targeted promotion.

Here is exactly how I approached it.

Why I Chose NotebookLM for a Gumroad Product

NotebookLM is especially useful when you need to work with a collection of information instead of simply asking an AI tool to generate ideas from scratch.

Google describes NotebookLM as a source-grounded research tool. Its newer capabilities allow users to work with different types of sources and turn that information into more structured outputs. Google also renamed NotebookLM to Gemini Notebook in July 2026 while keeping it as a standalone research product, so you may come across both names when searching for it.

For me, that made NotebookLM useful for one specific job: taking scattered information and turning it into something practical and organized.

I did not start by asking, “What ebook can I sell with AI?”

Instead, I asked myself:

  • What problem do beginners regularly struggle with?
  • Can I solve that problem in a simple downloadable format?
  • Will the buyer actually save time by using it?
  • Can I make it more useful than a generic AI-generated document?

Those questions helped me narrow down the idea before I started creating anything.

Step 1: I Picked a Small Problem Instead of a Huge Niche

One of the first things I learned was that broad topics are difficult to turn into focused digital products.

“Digital marketing” is too broad.

Even “SEO” covers a huge range of topics.

A more specific problem, such as how to get more traffic to a new blog through simple content promotion, is much easier to work with because both the audience and the problem are clearer.

That matters when you are building a digital product.

A first product could be a checklist, workbook, template, prompt pack, mini-guide, content calendar, research worksheet, or step-by-step action plan.

When the problem is specific, everything becomes easier. You can explain the product more clearly, create more focused content around it, and show potential buyers why it is useful.

I also paid attention to long-tail search terms related to digital products, Gumroad, AI research tools, content creation, and beginner workflows.

I would not treat any keyword as a guaranteed fast-ranking opportunity. Search rankings depend on several factors, including competition, site authority, content quality, search intent, and links.

A more practical approach is to target specific phrases that closely match the topic and then create genuinely useful content around those terms. The goal should be to help the reader first rather than create content simply to chase search rankings.

Step 2: I Used NotebookLM for Research Before Creating the Product

This became one of the most useful parts of the entire process.

Before writing the actual product, I created a NotebookLM notebook around the topic and collected reliable source material.

Depending on the subject, that could include official documentation, useful articles, PDFs, YouTube videos, guides, research notes, and my own material. NotebookLM can also help discover relevant sources, which makes it easier to build a research library around one topic.

Once I had enough material inside the notebook, I started asking focused questions.

Before turning research into a product, it helps to understand how NotebookLM works as a research workspace. My detailed guide on Google NotebookLM for research covers source collection, better research questions, citations, verification, and practical workflows for bloggers.

Questions I Asked NotebookLM

  • What are the most common beginner mistakes?
  • Which steps are essential?
  • Which steps are optional?
  • What information appears consistently across reliable sources?
  • Where do the sources disagree?
  • What questions would a first-time buyer probably ask?
  • How could this information be turned into a practical checklist?
  • Which sections need examples instead of more theory?

That approach was far more useful than simply asking AI to invent a product idea.

I was using NotebookLM to understand, organize, and compare information rather than blindly asking it to create the final product for me.

Its responses can include citations connected to the sources inside the notebook, but that does not mean every generated statement should automatically be trusted. AI tools can still make mistakes.

For important information, I checked the original sources before including it in the final product. That extra step helped me keep the material more accurate and useful.

Step 3: I Turned the Research Into a Small Product

Once the research was organized, I deliberately kept the product simple.

That was important because a first digital product does not need to be huge to be valuable.

A beginner may get more practical value from a focused 12-page guide that explains exactly what to do than from a 100-page ebook filled with information they never use.

I built the product around a simple structure:

Problem → Process → Example → Checklist → Next Action

For example, instead of creating a broad AI Productivity Guide, I could create a NotebookLM Research Workflow for Bloggers containing:

  • A setup checklist
  • Recommended source types
  • Research prompts
  • A content-outline framework
  • A fact-checking checklist
  • A repurposing workflow
  • A final publishing checklist

The goal was not to make the product look bigger.

The goal was to make it genuinely useful.

NotebookLM can also generate different types of outputs, including reports, charts, and slide decks through its newer capabilities. Still, I would not simply publish the raw output.

I would edit it, reorganize it, remove unnecessary information, and make sure the final resource reflects a real workflow.

An untouched AI export may contain plenty of information, but information alone does not automatically make a good digital product.If you're interested in taking this idea beyond one product, you can also read my guide on how to sell AI-made digital products. It covers product ideas, packaging, distribution channels, and the basic funnel behind digital product sales.

A Little-Known Advantage: Turn One Notebook Into a Product Research System

Here is something many creators overlook: NotebookLM is not limited to summarizing PDFs. It can work with public YouTube URLs and audio files, then let you explore the information with citations linked to the source material. That means you can build a research library from videos, articles, PDFs, and your own notes before creating a Gumroad product.

The smarter move is to use that library as the product’s “research engine.” For example, you could collect expert tutorials, official documentation, and customer questions in one notebook, ask NotebookLM to identify repeated problems, and then turn those findings into a checklist, template, or mini-guide. Google’s 2026 upgrades also allow NotebookLM to generate outputs such as reports, charts, spreadsheets, and slide decks from your research.

There is another useful detail that is easy to miss: Gumroad currently acts as the merchant of record, meaning it handles worldwide sales-tax collection and remittance. That removes part of the administrative work for a beginner selling digital products internationally.

Step 4: I Added the Human Part

This is where many AI-generated digital products become weak.

People can already ask an AI chatbot for dozens of tips and ideas. Because of that, a generic collection of information is not enough to make a product genuinely useful.

I focused on practical questions such as:

What should I do first?

What can I ignore?

Where could a beginner get stuck?

Which step could save the most time?

What should the finished result look like?

How can I actually use this resource in a real workflow?

Those details changed the product.

Instead of feeling like a simple collection of information, it started to feel more like a practical tool that someone could actually use.

That human layer also matters when creating search-focused content. Readers want something useful and different, not another article that simply repeats information they can find everywhere else.

Firsthand experience, practical examples, personal observations, and clear instructions can make content much more valuable than a basic summary.

Step 5: I Kept the Gumroad Product Page Simple

Once the product was ready, I uploaded it to Gumroad and treated the product page like a simple landing page.

I avoided vague descriptions such as:

“AI-powered guide for creators who want to grow online.”

It sounds appealing, but it does not tell a potential customer what they are actually buying.

Instead, I focused on four basic questions.

Who Is It For?

For example:

“Designed for beginner bloggers, freelancers, and creators who want a repeatable NotebookLM research workflow.”

What Problem Does It Solve?

Something like:

“Stop spending hours moving between articles, notes, and AI chats when researching a digital product or blog topic.”

What Exactly Is Included?

I clearly listed the guide, templates, checklists, examples, and any bonus resources.

That way, the buyer could quickly understand what they would receive after purchasing.

What Result Can the Buyer Expect?

I avoided unrealistic income claims.

The focus was on practical benefits such as saving research time, organizing information, reducing unnecessary work, and following a repeatable workflow.

Gumroad currently charges a transaction fee on direct or profile sales, while sales made through its Discover marketplace have a higher fee. There is also no monthly platform fee.

Because of that, it is useful to know where your sales are coming from and how much of each transaction remains after platform fees.

Step 6: I Used a Low-Friction Launch Price

For my first product, I was not trying to set the highest possible price.

I wanted the purchase decision to feel straightforward.

When a product solves one clearly defined problem, an entry-level price can make sense because the customer understands both what they are getting and what they are paying for.

But price was only one part of the equation.

The product still needed to feel worthwhile.

A $5 checklist that helps someone save several hours can be more useful to that person than a $25 ebook filled with information they never apply.

I also paid attention to the product preview.

Showing sample pages, screenshots, or a clear contents preview can make a big difference because the buyer can see what they are actually getting instead of having to guess.

Step 7: I Did Not Expect Gumroad to Find All My Customers

This was another important lesson.

Uploading a product is not the same as marketing it.

Gumroad has its own Discover marketplace, but I did not want to depend completely on marketplace discovery.

So I created content around the problem my product was designed to solve.

My simple funnel looked like this:

Searchable blog post → useful social content → Gumroad product page → purchase

Instead of turning every post into a sales pitch, I focused on genuine questions people were already asking.

For example:

  • How to use NotebookLM for content research
  • How to create digital products with AI
  • Best NotebookLM workflows for bloggers
  • How to sell a digital product on Gumroad
  • AI research workflow for content creators

The basic idea was simple:

Help first, promote second.

That made the promotion feel much more natural because the content had value even before someone reached the product page.

Selling a digital product is only one possible AI-based income model. For more ideas, explore this guide to make money online with AI, where I cover digital products, blogging, freelancing, AI services, and other practical approaches.

Step 8: I Turned One Research Project Into Multiple Pieces of Content

I did not try to come up with a completely different idea for every platform.

Instead, I reused the same core research in different formats.

A single NotebookLM project could become:

  • A long-form blog article
  • A LinkedIn post
  • A Facebook post
  • A Pinterest description
  • A short-form video script
  • A checklist
  • An email
  • A Gumroad product guide

This created a simple content-to-product loop.

The blog could attract search traffic.

Social posts could create additional discovery.

Free content could demonstrate the value of the approach.

The product could then give interested readers a more organized solution.

That felt much more practical than publishing random promotional messages every day.

Instead of constantly starting from zero, I was getting more value from the same research project.Content is only one part of the bigger picture. If you're exploring how AI can support research, content planning, SEO, social media, and other marketing tasks, check out my guide to AI tools for digital marketing.

Step 9: I Used the First Sale as Feedback

The first Gumroad sale was not the end of the process.

In many ways, it was the start of the learning process.

Once someone actually paid for the product, I had another reason to look at it critically.

I asked myself:

  • Which section could be clearer?
  • Where might a beginner need more help?
  • Could one section become a useful template?
  • What bonus would genuinely improve the product?
  • What question might a buyer have after using the guide?

That feedback can become the starting point for future products.

A guide can turn into a template pack.

A template pack can become a bundle.

A bundle can eventually become a mini-course.

A research checklist can grow into a larger creator toolkit.

The important thing is not to create dozens of unrelated products.

A better approach is to build around a problem people already care about and expand the solution when there is a genuine reason to do so.

What I Would Do Differently Now

The biggest thing I would change is the timing of validation.

I would spend less time polishing the design before confirming that the problem actually deserves a product.

I would also pay more attention to the headline, product preview, and search intent from the beginning.

The search environment in 2026 is increasingly influenced by AI-powered discovery, but the fundamentals of good SEO still matter.

Content needs to be accessible, useful, well organized, and genuinely valuable.

There is no single “GEO trick” that can replace strong SEO fundamentals.

That is why I would still focus on people first and search engines second.

When the content is useful to the reader, optimized search intent simply helps the right people find it.

The Exact Workflow You Can Follow

Here is the entire process in a simple sequence.

1. Find a Narrow Problem

Choose one audience, one pain point, and one practical outcome.

2. Build a NotebookLM Research Library

Add trustworthy sources, useful references, and your own notes.

3. Ask Research Questions Instead of Sales Questions

Look for patterns, mistakes, important steps, examples, and information gaps.

4. Create the Smallest Useful Product

Start with a guide, checklist, template, workbook, or resource pack.

5. Add Human Judgment

Edit the material, fact-check important information, simplify complicated sections, and add practical examples.

6. Create a Clear Gumroad Product Page

Explain who the product is for, what it includes, and which problem it solves.

7. Use a Beginner-Friendly Entry Price

Keep the buying decision straightforward without making unrealistic promises.

8. Build Free Traffic Around the Problem

Use SEO articles, Pinterest, social media posts, short videos, and relevant communities.

9. Watch What Gets Attention

Clicks, saves, comments, page visits, and purchases can help you understand where audience interest is strongest.

10. Improve the First Product Before Expanding

A useful, focused first product is more valuable than a large collection of weak digital products.

My first Gumroad sale using NotebookLM taught me something much more useful than any individual AI prompt:

NotebookLM was not the business.

The problem I solved was the business.

NotebookLM helped me research faster, organize information, compare sources, and shape the product.

Gumroad gave me a simple way to package and sell it.

SEO and content marketing helped me reach people who were already interested in the topic.

That combination made the whole process work.

You do not need a huge course library.

You do not need thousands of followers.

You also do not need to publish dozens of low-quality AI-generated products.

Start with one specific problem.

Research it carefully.

Build one useful solution.

Explain it clearly.

Then create content that helps the right people discover it.

That is the workflow I would repeat today.

And for anyone interested in building a digital product business with NotebookLM, AI, Gumroad, SEO, and content marketing, it is a much more practical starting point than simply asking AI to create something and hoping people will buy it.

Explore More with Growth Lab Plus

If you found this NotebookLM and Gumroad workflow useful, you can explore more practical guides on Growth Lab Plus. The blog focuses on digital marketing, blogging, SEO, AI tools, content creation, and practical ways to build and grow an online presence.

The goal is simple: share useful strategies, step-by-step tutorials, and actionable ideas that you can actually apply instead of filling your time with complicated theory.

Whether you are a beginner blogger, content creator, freelancer, or someone exploring AI-powered tools for online work, Growth Lab Plus is built to help you learn, experiment, and improve one step at a time.

Visit Growth Lab Plus and explore the latest guides, tutorials, and practical digital marketing resources.

About the Author

Talha Shahzad is the creator of Growth Lab Plus, where he writes about AI tools, digital marketing, SEO, blogging, and online business.

Read more about the author → About Us

3/related/default