My Journey from Digital Marketing and AI Tools to Blogging

Growth Lab Plus

I didn’t start blogging with a perfectly planned strategy. My journey began with digital marketing and a curiosity about how people find things online. As I learned SEO, content writing, social media, keyword research, and promotion, I started seeing how these skills fit together.

That eventually led me to blogging.

Growth Lab Plus came from the idea of bringing what I was learning into one place. I wanted to build a useful website, learn through real work, test different approaches, and share those lessons.

My journey from digital marketing and AI tools to blogging – Growth Lab Plus


Then AI tools became a bigger part of my workflow. ChatGPT, Claude, NotebookLM, and other AI platforms helped with research, brainstorming, outlining, editing, and content development. I also learned that AI does not remove the need for human judgment. Google’s guidance focuses on helpful, reliable, people-first content rather than simply producing large amounts of content.

So this is not a story about replacing digital marketing with AI. It is about how digital marketing, AI tools, and blogging became connected in my work.

How Digital Marketing Became My Starting Point

My interest in digital marketing started with a basic question: how do people actually find something on the internet?

A useful website still needs to be discoverable. That question introduced me to SEO, search intent, content marketing, keyword research, internal linking, social promotion, and website optimization.

Over time, I realized that digital marketing is not really about posting content everywhere. It is more about understanding what someone needs and creating a path from their problem to a useful answer.

Take a simple example. Someone searching for “how to start a blog” may want a beginner-friendly explanation. Someone searching for “Blogger SEO checklist for new websites” is probably looking for a more practical process. Both searches are about blogging, but the intent behind them is different.

Understanding that difference changed the way I looked at content.

I also learned that SEO is not simply about repeating an exact keyword throughout an article. Search systems can understand related language and topics, which made me rethink the way I approached keyword optimization.

From Learning SEO to Building My Own Blog

At some point, learning about blogging was no longer enough for me. I wanted to apply what I was learning on a real website.

That became Growth Lab Plus.

Once I started building the site, SEO became much more practical. I had to think about article structure, titles, search descriptions, URLs, images, internal links, indexing, mobile experience, Search Console, and content promotion.

I had to deal with these things myself.

That taught me something important: publishing an article is only one part of content marketing.

A useful blog post needs a clear purpose. It should match the search intent behind the topic, give the reader something genuinely useful, and fit into a website structure that makes the content easy to find and understand.

That is why I gradually started asking a different question when creating content. Instead of asking only, “What keyword should I target?” I started asking, “What would make this page genuinely useful to the person who searched for it?”

That small change made a big difference in how I planned articles.

When AI Tools Became Part of My Workflow

The next major change in my journey came when I started using AI tools more seriously.

At first, I mainly liked AI because it could generate ideas quickly. But the more I used it, the more useful I found it for different parts of my workflow.

I could use AI to brainstorm article ideas, build an outline, identify questions a reader might have, compare possible angles, simplify complicated explanations, improve headlines, and review an existing draft.

ChatGPT became useful for brainstorming and organizing ideas. Claude gave me another way to develop and refine long-form content. NotebookLM became useful when I wanted to work with source material and pull useful information from documents.

But I did not want AI to become the author of my website.

I wanted it to become an assistant.

That distinction is important to me. A tool can help you work faster, but speed is not the same thing as value. A generated article can still feel generic if there is nothing personal, practical, or genuinely useful behind it.

My workflow gradually became more human.

Step 1: Start With My Own Topic Idea

I begin with a problem, question, observation, or experience. I prefer starting with something I actually want to explain rather than taking a ready-made AI article and trying to make it look personal later.

Step 2: Understand the Search Intent

Before writing, I think about what the reader really wants.

Are they looking for a definition? A tutorial? A comparison? A tool review? A solution to a problem?

That question helps decide what the article should actually contain.

Step 3: Use AI for Research and Structure

This is where AI saves me time. I can ask for related questions, possible sections, alternative angles, or gaps in an outline. It helps me look at the topic from more than one direction.

Step 4: Add Human Experience

This is the part I value most.

I add what I learned, what confused me, what I tested, what changed, and what I think a beginner should understand before making the same mistakes.

Step 5: Edit Everything for Real Readers

Even when AI helps with the first draft, the final article needs editing. I remove awkward wording, repeated ideas, unnecessary phrases, and anything that does not sound natural.

Google has said that AI can be useful for research and structure, but producing large amounts of pages without adding value can become a problem. That is one reason I prefer using AI to support the process rather than letting it control the entire process.

What SEO Means to Me Now

My understanding of SEO has changed over time. I still care about primary keywords, related keywords, headings, internal links, image alt text, clean URLs, and technical SEO, but I no longer see them as a list of tricks.

I see them as tools that help make content easier to understand and discover.

For example, when writing about AI for bloggers, related phrases such as AI tools for digital marketing, AI content creation, AI for SEO, blogging with AI, SEO for bloggers, content strategy, keyword research, generative AI search, GEO optimization, and online income skills can fit naturally into the article.

The key is relevance. I do not want to force a keyword into every paragraph. A heading should tell the reader what they are going to learn, and an internal link should lead to something genuinely useful.

That is how I approach keyword optimization now: use relevant language naturally, answer the topic clearly, and keep the reader’s purpose in mind.

Why Blogging Became More Than Publishing Articles

Blogging also showed me that content works as a system. One article can become a social media post, video script, Pinterest description, infographic idea, or starting point for another related article.

The important thing is to adapt the idea rather than copy the same content everywhere.

That is where digital marketing and blogging began to feel like one process. The website became the main home for my content, search became a discovery channel, social platforms helped with distribution, and AI tools became productivity assistants.

I stopped thinking only about publishing more posts and started thinking about building a connected content network.

Learning From Indexing, Technical SEO, and Search Console

Technical SEO is not the most exciting part of blogging, but it has taught me a lot. I learned to check whether pages can be crawled and indexed, whether URLs are clean and consistent, whether internal links work, whether the mobile version behaves properly, and whether Google can understand the site.

Search Console became especially useful because it gives me a way to look at how Google sees the website and to check indexing-related information.

I also learned that a normal Google search is not a complete indexing report. The site: operator can give useful signals, but it should not be treated as a precise count of every indexed URL.

That matters because it is easy to assume a page is either “in Google” or “not in Google” based on one search. Indexing and visibility need a more careful look.

Working through these issues taught me patience. SEO is not only about publishing; search engines also need time to discover, process, and evaluate pages.

The New Search Era: SEO, AI Search, and GEO

The search environment is changing, and AI is becoming a bigger part of how people find and understand information.

Google has also published guidance about content for AI experiences in Search. The basic SEO principles still matter, but there is more focus on unique, useful content instead of generic pages created mainly to appear in search or AI results.

That is how I think about GEO, or Generative Engine Optimization. I do not see it as a secret formula that guarantees an AI system will mention a website. To me, it is an extension of good content strategy.

For a blogger, that means answering the main question early, using clear H2 and H3 headings, explaining ideas simply, including original examples and practical steps, covering related questions naturally, and using useful images or videos when they improve understanding.

The same approach can help whether someone discovers the page through Google Search, an AI search experience, or social media.

The Biggest Lessons I Have Learned

Looking back, a few lessons stand out.

Digital marketing is a connected set of skills. SEO, content writing, analytics, social promotion, and conversion thinking make more sense when you understand how they work together.

AI is most useful when it improves your thinking instead of replacing it. It can move you from a blank page to an outline quickly and help reveal questions you had missed, but a fast draft is not automatically a good article.

Original experience also matters. When many websites can explain the same topic, your own observations, examples, tests, mistakes, and lessons give the content a more useful point of view.

And blogging is ongoing. Search, tools, platforms, and strategies change, so I am learning to adapt without losing focus on useful content.

What I Am Building With Growth Lab Plus

Growth Lab Plus is the result of that learning process.

My goal is to build a digital marketing and blogging resource where people can explore practical topics around SEO, AI tools, blogging, content creation, monetization, and online skills.

I am not looking at every article as something that has to generate traffic immediately. I want each post to add something useful to the website: a clear explanation, a practical tutorial, a useful tool workflow, a better example, or a lesson based on experience.

That has also changed the way I think about progress.

Traffic matters, but so do useful content, stronger search visibility, better internal linking, technical website health, and long-term relevance.

The website becomes stronger when those pieces improve together.

My Practical Workflow for New Blog Posts

My current process is simple:

  1. Start with a real topic: a question, problem, or subject worth explaining.
  2. Understand search intent: identify what the reader actually wants.
  3. Choose the primary keyword: add related search terms that genuinely fit.
  4. Find a useful angle: see what general articles cover and where I can explain something more clearly.
  5. Build the outline: organize the article around reader questions.
  6. Use AI as a support tool: brainstorm, organize, research, and review ideas.
  7. Add human input: include my own observations, examples, experiences, and practical details.
  8. Optimize the article: review the title, headings, URL, internal links, image alt text, search description, and readability.
  9. Review before publishing: check accuracy, usefulness, originality, and technical quality.
  10. Keep improving: monitor the published content and improve weak areas when the available information points to a need.

SEO helps people discover content, but the content still has to deserve their attention.

Final Thoughts: My Journey Is Still Going

My journey from digital marketing and AI tools to blogging has not followed a perfect plan. It has been a process of learning, testing, making mistakes, fixing things, and trying again.

Digital marketing gave me the foundation. AI tools changed the way I research and work. Blogging gave me a place to bring those skills together.

The biggest change has been the way I look at a blog itself.

I no longer see it as a collection of keyword-focused articles. I see it as a long-term digital asset built through useful information, consistent improvement, smart SEO, and genuine learning.

The future of blogging will keep changing as AI search, new content formats, and creator tools develop. But the basic principle is simple: understand what people need, solve real problems, and use technology to make the work better.

That is the direction I am taking with Growth Lab Plus, and the journey is still continuing.

For anyone learning digital marketing, experimenting with AI tools, or building a blog, my biggest lesson is simple: you do not need to know everything before you start. Pick a useful topic, create something you can stand behind, learn from the results, and keep improving.

About the Author

Talha Shahzad is the creator of Growth Lab Plus, where he writes about AI tools, digital marketing, SEO, blogging, and online business.

Read more about the author → About Us


3/related/default